Ferry to Ireland with a car
Getting a ferry to Ireland with a car couldn’t be easier with P&O ferries. You can either take a Cairnryan to Larne ferry or a sailing into Dublin. Book direct with us to get the best deal when you are planning a trip to Ireland.
Before leaving for the port make sure you have checked out our port directions page and leave yourself plenty of time as the port area can get busy.
TRAVELLING TO IRELAND AFTER BREXIT WITH YOUR CAR
At the moment, travelling to Europe couldn’t be easier for British citizens – all you need is a valid UK passport and you’re good to go. However, travelling to Europe after Brexit is going to get a little bit more complicated from 29th March 2019. But there’s no need to worry, here at P&O Ferries you’re in safe hands! We’ve put together a list of handy travel tips of everything you’ll need to know so that you can be fully prepared for all your future journeys.
Driving on board the ferry
When you arrive at the port our friendly staff will be on hand to direct you to where you need to go. When you check in our staff will let you know what lane to get in. Once we’re ready to get you on board a member of staff will direct you on the ship. When parking on the ship, don’t forget to put your handbrake on. A top tip from us is to make sure you have a look at what area you parked in, as it is colour coded.
Disembarking the ferry
An announcement will be made when you need to return to your car, when you get to your car please don’t turn your engine on until you’re asked. Our friendly staff will direct you off the ship and then you are ready to discover Ireland.
Freedom to explore Ireland
Taking a ferry to Ireland with a car will give you the freedom to explore either Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland.
Tips for planning a road trip across Ireland:
- Make sure you have recovery paid for in case you break down.
- Check your travel insurance covers you to drive in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland
- Have hard copies of maps – in case you need to refer to them
- Pack sat nav and in-car phone chargers
- Create a wish list of places you want to visit. You can use our adventure planner to help you figure out what you want to do. Or if you need a bit of inspiration check out our travel guides.
- Work out your budget beforehand and take advantage of cost-savings where you can by booking attraction and accommodation.
- Give yourself plenty of time to get between locations and be flexible with your plans. Take advantage of the things you stumble across and decide you want to explore, as well as the things you have planned to do.