Brexit Travel Checklist

Travelling to the EU after Brexit will be different in a number of ways, but you'll still be able to enjoy amazing holidays in mainland Europe. We have created a Brexit Travel Checklist to help you to plan your next trip, so you know that you have all you need before you set sail.

Book Now



If you are planning to travel to an EU country (except Ireland), or Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino or Vatican City, you must meet the Schengen area rules.

Your passport must meet 2 requirements. It must be:

  • Less than 10 years old on the day you enter (check the ‘date of issue’)

  • Valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)

Travel insurance & medical care

  • Taking out travel insurance will help your trip to run smoothly. Some travel insurance policies only cover certain types of disruption. Check your provider’s terms and conditions to make sure you have the cover you need if your travel is cancelled or delayed. Your consumer rights have not changed since 1 January 2021. This means that if your travel is cancelled or delayed you may be able to claim a refund or compensation. Check your booking’s terms and conditions to find out more.

  • EHIC cards issued can still be used until their expiry date for medical care in the EU

  • After this, you can apply for a GHIC card which covers state healthcare in the country you're visiting

  • In Norway you can use a UK passport to get medically necessary healthcare (for example emergency treatment or to treat a pre-existing condition).

  • If you’re travelling to Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, you should get appropriate travel insurance with healthcare cover before you travel. Make sure it covers any pre-existing conditions that were previously covered by your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).


  • You will not need a visa to visit an EU country as a tourist

  • You can stay in the EU for 90 days within a 180 day period

  • You may need a visa if you want to stay for longer, to work or study, or for business travel


  • If you’re taking your own vehicle, you will need a green card and a UK sticker

  • You might also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some EU countries and Norway

  • Ensure that you have organised breakdown cover


  • Your pet must be microchipped

  • You will need to get an animal health certificate (AHC) from your vet no more than 10 days before you travel

  • Your pet must have a valid rabies vaccination

Border control

  • You may have to show your return ticket

  • You might also have to show that you have enough money for your stay

  • Be aware that you may need to use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queuing

Food and drink

  • From 1st January 2021, you are not able to take certain food products into EU countries 

  • You cannot take: meat or products containing meat; milk or dairy products; fresh fruit (apart from bananas, coconuts, dates, pineapples and durians)*; vegetables*; plants*; plant products*
     *unless you pay to have them inspected before you leave and get a ‘phytosanitary certificate’

  • There are some exceptions including: powdered infant milk, infant food, or pet food required for medical reasons

Mobile Data

  • From the 1st January 2021 you will need to check with your phone operator before you travel to the EU regarding data roaming charges. The guarantee of free mobile phone roaming throughout the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway has ended.


Now that you've read our Brexit Travel Checklist you're ready to head off on your next adventure! Book your ferry crossing today - we look forward to seeing you on board soon! For more information, visit the government's Brexit pages.