What documents do I need to travel to the EU after Brexit?

If you’re planning your 2021 holiday, you may be wondering if you’ll need any additional documentation when you travel to the EU after Brexit. Here, we look at the extra documents that you might need so that you can ensure that you’re fully prepared for your post-Brexit trip.




As always, you will need a passport in order to visit the EU after Brexit. Before 31st December 2020 you only need to have enough time left on your passport to cover the duration of your trip, but after Brexit it needs to be valid for at least 6 months from your departure date. From 1st January 2021, your passport will need to be less than 10 years old in order to visit an EU country – no matter how long it is valid for.


You will still be able to travel with a burgundy or ‘European Union’ passport after Brexit. New blue passports are being issued, so you can expect to be sent one of these when you renew your current passport.




You will not need a visa in order to visit an EU country as a tourist after Brexit. Tourists will be able to stay in the EU for 90 days in a 180 period, which is more than enough time for a holiday or longer road trip.


If you are hoping to stay in the EU for longer in order to work or study, or you’re travelling for business, you may need a visa in order to do this. This will depend on the entry requirements of the country(s) you’re staying in, so you should check these before you travel.


Travel insurance


Once the UK leaves the EU you will still be able to rely on your EHIC for healthcare overseas until it reaches its expiry date. After this, you will be able to apply for a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) which will cover you for state healthcare in the EU country you're visiting.


It's also advised that you take out travel insurance as your EHIC or GHIC won't cover everything e.g medical repatriation. Take your travel insurance documentation with you when you travel, whether this is printed out or on your phone. This way you can be confident that the details will be to hand should you need them. It’s also recommended that you leave the details with a friend or family member at home in case you need assistance at any point.


Find out more about medical treatment in the EU after Brexit before you travel.


Driving documentation


Up until 31st December 2020 you only need to have your UK issued driving licence in order to drive in the EU. This will remain the same for those carrying a card driving licence issued in the UK after Brexit. However, if you have a paper driving licence or one that was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man, you may need an International Driving Permit to drive in certain EU countries. This is essentially a multi-language version of your license and can be picked up from a Post Office for £5.50. Simply check if you need one for any countries that you’ll be driving to/through before you travel.


You will need a Green Card to show that your insurance covers you for the countries that you’re driving in. Like the International Driving Permit, this is a multi-language document that could be required should you be stopped by border control or for any other reason during you trip. Green cards are typically free, and you can request one from your insurance provider.


Find out more about driving in the EU after Brexit.


Now you know which documents you need to travel to the EU after Brexit, book your ferry crossing and start planning your next holiday today.